It can be difficult for even professional traders to time short-term trades. And there are psychological biases that negatively impact investors’ decision-making. The meme also acknowledges novice crypto investors that they are not skilled enough to profit from short-term trades amid the notoriously volatile crypto market. But in general, the idea of investing for long-term, rather than short-term, gains is not a new one. I’LL TELL YOU WHY,” their message read (this time spelling “hold” correctly).
- While it looks like an acronym – one of those terms like FBI or KFC that abbreviates a word into its initials – HODL is simply a misspelling of the word hold, albeit one that caught on for the silliness of its mistake.
- “Alternative assets,” as the term is used at Public, are equity securities that have been issued pursuant to Regulation A of the Securities Act of 1933 (as amended) (“Regulation A”).
- “In a zero-sum game such as this, traders can only take your money if you sell,” he wrote.
- While some HODLers store their virtual currencies on centralized crypto exchanges (platforms for buying and selling cryptocurrency), many prefer to move their assets to self-custodial hardware wallets.
But these phrases have extended beyond crypto to other assets, such as stocks. During the run-up in the stocks of GameStop and AMC in 2021, individual traders rallied around the phrases, egging each other on to continue to hold or even buy more on the dips. The exact origin of HODL is well established, and the context surrounding it offers a good lesson to cryptocurrency traders and those who would like to get started trading crypto. Bankrate follows a strict editorial policy, so you can trust that we’re putting your interests first.
Due to their highly volatile nature, cryptocurrencies provide great opportunities for traders to build up long and short positions frequently. However, “hodling” can provide more safety to investors, as investors are not exposed to short-term volatility and can avoid the risk of buying high but selling low. This typo quickly caught on within the forum and then spread across the wider crypto community. Since then, it has been adopted by crypto traders and investors as an acronym for ‘Hold On for Dear Life,’ representing a steadfast approach to holding cryptocurrencies amidst market fluctuations. If you’re curious about making HODL a part of your portfolio, we can help you get started. DYdX’s exchange offers dozens of advanced trading features for crypto traders, including fee-free perpetuals.
- Avoiding the urge to give in to fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is one of the hardest barriers to overcome.
- At the same time, Bitcoiners use HODL as a form of encouragement during crypto winters, literally reminding each other to HODL onto their bags.
- Hopefully, by going through this article, you have familiarized yourself with some of the more common unique terminologies used within the blockchain space.
- The answer to the birth of this concept is the extreme volatility that exists in the cryptocurrency market.
But investors who were spooked into selling their BTC in past downturns have lived to regret those decisions. Crypto pump and dump is an investment scheme in which instigators buy large positions in low-cap (market capitalization) coins or tokens before shilling these assets to other investors. The intention is to create an artificial price increase leading to a substantial profit.
HODL vs. Buy-and-Hold Investing
They’re holding for the long-term and looking to build life-changing wealth. You only sell in a bear market if you are a good day trader or an illusioned noob. In a zero-sum game such as this, traders can only take your money if you sell. Bitcoin has only been around since 2009, giving it a limited long-term track record compared with stocks, bonds, real estate and other assets. Others have argued that the stubbornness and close-mindedness of HODL culture is “cult-like,” blinding the community to any legitimate criticisms of Bitcoin as an investment or a currency. There’s no question the HODL strategy has paid off well for GameKyuubi and other Bitcoin investors that have held onto their crypto investments.
- In a perfect world, you’ll never invest in any of these cash-burning crypto projects.
- There are also times when it may be prudent to sell, such as cashing out some gains when you’ve met your goals.
- The crypto market is known for being very volatile, which can be a big problem and cause huge losses to cryptoasset investors.
- This form of ledger technology is what’s behind cryptocurrencies and other tech trends.
- “HODLers” buy assets and keep them with the expectation that years down the road, they’ll be worth significantly more than they are today.
Crypto forums may preach the benefits of HODLing, but there isn’t definitive proof that it works for crypto investments in the same way it has traditionally worked for the stock market. Crypto investors quickly retrofit HODL as an acronym for “hold on for dear life,” an encouragement to other crypto investors not to sell when prices fall. The term originated from a 2013 online post to the Bitcointalk forum where the typo appeared. The price of Bitcoin in 2013 was volatile at the time, surging to over $950 at the beginning of December, 2013, up from just over $130 in April of the same year. The poster encouraged people not to sell and that they were „hodling“ [sic]. HODLing is a sound investment strategy that has been successfully applied even within the traditional markets; however, its efficacy depends on the investor’s goals.
Our award-winning editors and reporters create honest and accurate content to help you make the right financial decisions. The fall was possibly a result of a ban of third-party payment companies from working with Bitcoin exchanges from China’s central bank (People’s Bank of China). The author loaded the post with typos and upper cases to express his firmness in his simple holding strategy. This Article does not offer the purchase or sale of any financial instruments or related services.
- The author loaded the post with typos and upper cases to express his firmness in his simple holding strategy.
- Other forum participants embraced the misspelling, and it soon became the subject of memes.
- Long-term crypto HODLers stay invested because they believe that cryptocurrencies will eventually replace government-issued fiat currencies as the basis of all economic structures.
- HODLing means resisting the urge to sell your digital assets, even when the crypto markets are notoriously volatile.
- The week the post was published, the price of Bitcoin dipped nearly 40%, as a result of actions taken by the Chinese central bank.
- The term ‘HODL’ was first used by a BitcoinTalk forum member going by the pseudonym GameKyuubi on December 18th, 2013.
Bankrate does not offer advisory or brokerage services, nor does it provide individualized recommendations or personalized investment advice. Investment decisions should be based on an evaluation of your own personal financial situation, needs, risk tolerance and investment objectives. Cryptocurrencies continue to gain more attention as an investment opportunity due to the remarkable breakouts in 2017 and 2020. The trend of financial decentralization and currency digitalization provides room for growth to cryptocurrencies.
Other Crypto Slang Terms
The HODL approach has been rewarding for long-term investors in Bitcoin, Ethereum (ETH) and other leading cryptocurrencies, as it’s helped them navigate extreme fluctuations in the crypto market. In no time, the term HODL spread like wildfire throughout the crypto world. Today, it refers to investors who refuse to sell their crypto regardless of how high or low prices trade. If you invested $1,000 in Bitcoin on the day of the original HODL post, it would be worth much more today. But there are countless people who have lost money trading Bitcoin in the meantime, buying it when it was high and bailing out after a disappointing fall.
- HODL means holding on to an investment position no matter how volatile the price action gets.
- Reference to any specific strategy, technique, product, service, or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by dYdX Trading Inc., or any affiliate, agent, or representative thereof (“dYdX”).
- Increased demand pushes prices upwards while significant selling pressure drives prices lower.
- Timing the market requires expertise and a talent for predicting shifts in the market that most regular traders don’t possess.
As the project rises in popularity and utility, the value of the project’s token also rises. Continue reading to learn more about how it came to be, why it is considered an investment strategy, and other words that you may want to be acquainted with if you wish to be a part of the community. The first step for a beginner in the blockchain ecosystem is to find out where all the important conversations happen, including social media platforms and chat forums. Next, you should learn the terminology, and part of that is identifying the unique terms and phrases used by members of the community, what they mean and how to use them effectively. If a „whale“ sells a lot of their stake, it can cause the price of a cryptocurrency to dip by flooding supply, he explains.
Pros and cons of hodl
That’s good news because it’s not easy to do this, even under the best circumstances. Timing the market requires expertise and a talent for predicting shifts in the market that most regular traders don’t possess. HODL is a misspelling of “hold” and an acronym for “hold on for dear life.” It refers to an investing strategy where you buy crypto with the goal of holding onto it for the long haul, regardless of market conditions. Crypto markets are highly volatile, which means that investors often find themselves second-guessing their decisions. In the short term, if you’re advised to hold, it suggests just hanging tight as all is probably good, so there’s no reason to sell up but it’s also not worth buying loads more just in case things go tits up. If you see the value dipping or surging before your eyes, it can be easy to think that you need to buy more or sell the fucking lot, but you can just breathe…and hold…and hope it all steadies out in your favour.
“HODL,” one of the most frequently used terms in the cryptocurrency world, originated years ago from a typo.
Its articles, interactive tools and other content are provided to you for free, as self-help tools and for informational purposes only. NerdWallet does not and cannot guarantee the accuracy or applicability of any information in regard to your individual circumstances. Examples are hypothetical, and we encourage you to seek personalized advice from qualified professionals regarding specific investment issues. Our estimates are based on past market performance, and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. HODL means holding on to an investment position no matter how volatile the price action gets.
Frequently asked questions about HODL
It is a rallying cry by the blockchain community encouraging the weak hands to hold on to their positions whenever the price rises to stratospheric heights or starts plummeting down to earth. Lamborghini supercars have, for a long time, been used as status symbols by wealthy crypto investors, especially those that can attribute a bulk of their wealth to blockchain-related activities. For instance, if the asset is in the middle of a bear market, there will be fewer buyers than there are sellers. For big investors, a falling market might not offer the right conditions to sell. They have to wait for buyers to come in to absorb their large orders.
Is there a HODL cryptocurrency?
Therefore, traders interested in crypto need to carefully understand what they’re investing in with crypto. The legendary volatility of cryptocurrency is due to the fact that it’s driven entirely by sentiment, since no hard assets or cash flow back cryptocurrencies (with the exception of stablecoins). Many crypto coins, maybe even most of the 10,000 or so in existence, may end up worthless. It’s worth noting that ‘market timing’ — the act of trying to predict future price movements — is notoriously difficult and risky, even for seasoned investors. Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin, designed it as a medium of exchange and a store of value, suggesting a long-term use case. Therefore, many investors view any time as a good time to HODL as long as it aligns with their personal investment strategies and risk tolerance.
Ready to invest?
With cryptocurrency, Morrison says, the importance of patience is even higher. The volatility is more extreme, but the long-term gains have been quite appealing. A marketplace for cryptocurrencies where users can buy and sell coins.
HODLing: A Buy-and-Hold Strategy
The HODL token operates using the Binance Smart Chain, and HODL token owners can earn Binance Coin rewards. At the same time, Bitcoiners use HODL as a form of encouragement during crypto winters, literally reminding each other to HODL onto their bags. There hexn.io are several more words that we did not cover in this guide but we are sure you will run into as you interact with other community members. Be observant, keen, and keep an open mind when interacting with other enthusiasts in chat forums and on social media.
The utility of HODLing, like any investment strategy, has its limits. Even a long-term cryptocurrency investor would be well-served to articulate clear goals and to monitor the emerging space for systemic risks. The investing information provided on this page is for educational purposes only. NerdWallet, Inc. does not offer advisory or brokerage services, nor does it recommend or advise investors to buy or sell particular stocks, securities or other investments. There is no difference between HODLing a cryptocurrency and a buy-and-hold strategy. You can HODL a stock through its volatility because you believe in the company’s future success.
Can you HODL in the stock market?
HODL helps connect people in the Web3 ecosystem and encourages the crypto community to focus on the positive aspects of blockchain technology. The HODL memes bring levity to stressful situations, and the phrase inspires fellow investors to stay strong when markets decline. All in all, the shared struggles and triumphs of HODLing create a sense of camaraderie among crypto traders. When the markets are unstable, HODLing can be a strategy to consider.
HODL or Day Trade
The HODL strategy has since its origin been used as a community anthem used whenever the price of a digital asset has been rallying. The idea is to discourage selling at the top, which could possibly trigger a reversal of the asset’s price. Some say you should HODL until your coin is worth a sum that you’re happy with and then sell and take the profits. However, there’s always a chance that prices may continue to rise after you’ve sold and you may end up regretting your decision to not wait longer.